PROJECT FUNDING GUIDELINES
ABOUT FOUNDATION BROKEN HILL GRANT FUNDING
Foundation Broken Hill manages a capital fund that generates interest which is then re-invested into the Broken Hill Community through grants that support economic development and local social initiatives. The Foundation works with a wide range of local organisations and groups providing project funds that create employment opportunities and encourage social development
The grant funds that are distributed by the Foundation aim to help Broken Hill transition from a mining town to a vibrant, diverse and self-reliant community. Grants are available to local businesses and groups for projects that help the Foundation achieve this aim. The Foundation provides an alternative funding avenue for seed funding for new or expanding projects in Broken Hill.
1. WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Applications for funding will be considered by any individual, business or group from the Broken Hill Region with a project that:
- Is focused on and/or based in the Broken Hill region
- Addresses a key issue within the region
- Is supported by a suitable planning process and is able to demonstrate the capacity to achieve its stated aims and objectives
- Has the capacity to achieve ongoing viability after the grant period (this does not apply to feasibility or research projects)
- Can provide satisfactory information on its management and financial status
Generally the following projects will not be considered for funding:
- Projects that are retrospect (work is already completed)
- Political organisations or campaigns
2. FUNDING PRIORITIES
The number of applications for funding will always exceed the funds available and all worthwhile projects cannot be guaranteed support, regardless of their merit. In general, preference is given to projects that:
- Facilitate economic development and job creation within the Broken Hill region
- Enable local business expansion and new business ventures
- Support local youth through projects which develop skills and employment prospects
- Encourage education, sporting and social activities
- Enrich the cultural diversity of the Broken Hill region
- Improve community access to services
- Enhance community wellbeing and resources
This is a discretionary funding program. Each application will be considered on its merits along with all other applications.
3. REPORTING AND EVALUATION
All successful applicants are requested to evaluate their project’s performance against their original specified aims and objectives. At this time a report is to be forwarded to the Foundation, with supporting documentation such as photos, media releases and promotional material.
The Foundation may also, at a given point in time, wish to visit the project and see how it is progressing. Notice of these visits will be given in advance.
4. HOW TO APPLY
An application may only be made in writing – email application is preferred. Applications should be clear, concise and no more than 5 pages (a template is available online or through the Foundation’s office).
Where relevant, support material such as project budgets, quotes should be included.
5. WHEN TO APPLY
Foundation Broken Hill’s Board of Directors meets in Broken Hill 4 times per year. To ensure that applications are considered at this time, please contact the Foundation Manager for a current schedule of these meetings.
For your application to be considered at the next scheduled Board meeting, your application will need to be received 7 days prior to the meeting date.
6. APPLICATION ASSESSMENT PROCEDURE
The Foundation’s Board of Directors may require a personal presentation further detailing the project prior to a decision being made.
Applicants will be notified if a personal presentation is required.
All applicants will be notified in writing of the decision made by the Board of Directors regarding their funding request.
7. WHERE TO APPLY
Applications should be sent to:
Foundation Broken Hill
PO Box 899 or 242 Blende Street
Broken Hill NSW 2880
Tel: 08 8087 9985
If you require assistance with your application, we encourage you to contact the Foundation’s Manager prior to making your submission. Office hours are 9am – 4pm Monday to Thursday.